Rack Side Cooling Unit (2 Fan) with Power Supply
Saves Space by Utilizing the Sides of the Rack
This unit is ideal for tight rack applications where no space exists for more traditional cooling products. Even if there is space, these are great for directly cooling components in open 2 or 4-rail rack applications. The units easily attach to the side of the rails and can be positioned where cooling is needed the most. The fans can also be easily reversed so you can direct air to blow directly over the components or pull hot air away from the equipment. In 4-rail racks, the units can be either mounted to the front or back rail and they can be perfectly positioned to precisely cool even the hottest running components. The 2 Fan version is perfect for smaller components and is prices where multiple units can be utilized in a full rack system.
These units are affordably priced but feature the highest quality fans that were designed for extended use and are ideal for vertical mounting (traditional bearing fans are not intended for vertical mounting). Not only are the fans specially manufactured to be quiet and do not create electrical noise due their design, the fans are mounted using specialty hardware that absorbs normal fan vibrations which further reduces noise.
As with all of our products, the fans are variable speed and by adding a Temperature Controller, you can add automatic control including basic on/off as well as automated variable speed control. These units are compatible with all of our Temperature Controllers and the controllers simply plug inline between the power supplies and fan units.
- Engineered to Quietly & Aggressively Cool 2 & 4-Rail Open Racks with Holes on the Sides of the Rails
- Specialty 50mm Levitation (Brushless & Vapo Bearings) Fans for Quiet Operation and Longer Life
- Fans Mounted Using Specialty Mounting System to Absorb Fan Vibration for Quieter Operation
- Fans Easily Reversible for Directing Cool Air into the Rack or Exhausting Hot Air Away from Components
- Uses Variable Voltage Power Supply to Adjust Fan Speed
- Compatible with Temperature Controllers (TC-BSC and TC-AC)
- Available Configurations and Options: 2FN Unit: Two Fans. 4FN Unit: Four Fans
Dimensions: W - 7" x D – .5" x H – 2.8"
Construction: Heavy Gauge Steel (Painted Black)
Cooling System: Brushless 50mm Levitation Fans w/Specialty Bearing System for Long Life and Low Noise
Fan Life: Estimated 50,000 Hour Service Life
Air Flow: ~8W-CFM-16M-CFM
Noise: Noise Level is Dependent on System Settings and Options (Can be run quietly)
Power Connection: 2-Pin FastWire Power System (Ensure proper polarity)
Voltage: 5 to 9V DC Normal Operation or 9 to 12V for More Aggressive Cooling
Current - Amp: 100mA at 12V DC
INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED WITH UNIT
This unit is intended to be used in 2 or 4 rail open racks. The unit requires either threaded or non-threaded holes on the sides of the rails which are used to fasten the cooler to the rack. In a 4 rail rack system, the side cooler can be installed to the side of front rail to cool components that are not very deep such as cable and satellite boxes, or on the back rail for deeper components such as amplifiers and receivers. This will vary based on the application so there is no recommended or default position for the coolers. The fans on the coolers can also be reversed to blow air either into the rack or exhaust it away from the components. The coolers can also be installed on the back of the rack as well in 4 rail systems – just ensure that wiring will not interfere with the fans.
Instructions for Installation
- Determine where you wish to install the cooler considering how the air will ultimately flow around the equipment.
- Determine if you wish to pull air out and away from components or blow cooler air into the rack. If necessary, reverse the fans by pulling them from the rubber mounts and simply flip them over. When pulling fans from the mounts, lift the fan from one corner to ‘release’ one mount at a time. For the direction of the airflow, there is an arrow on the side of the fans which indicates the direction of airflow. Using wire ties for the power wire is not required, just ensure that the wires will not interfere with the fans once installed.
- Determine how the fans will be mounted to the rack and ensure you have the necessary hardware. There may be several variations so each application may be a little different. Some applications and rack configurations will only require extra rack screws while others may require screws and nuts.
- Mount the fan to the rack and consider how the power wires will be routed. The power wires can be zip tied to the side of the rack.
When powering the unit, set the voltage to a setting where the fans are quiet but yet effective. The normal operating range is between 5 and 9V DC but can be set to 12V for more aggressive cooling. Temperature controllers can also be used or the units can be switched from the equipment.